Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Content or community: decisions for Swtor

Content or Community, that is in my eyes the big question surrounding SWTOR.

Does Bioware gamble on building up a strong community or ensuring that players get to see and play content. WoW chose content. They made raids PuG'able, they made dungeon groups-cross-server (and soon cross-faction??? -That's me guessing). Every change made to wow in this regard, has been towards players getting easier access to content.
Players must be allowed to see as much content as soon and whenever they want to. 
That seems to be the mantra for wow.
Even jenkins will get to all the content

Is it a bad thing? No. Not necessarily, but it does lead to players like me, getting sick and tired of LFD. Because. well.. I think anyone who has ever had bad pugs in wow, know the type of player I am thinking of.
If they aren't: AFK, ungemmed/ungeared/un-talented, lost or abusive, they either yell "GOGGOGOGOGOGGO" or queue as tank so a friend can get ahead in queue. It is an alternative of the Dickwad theory : If you are not imidiatly held accountable for your actions, some people will act out in their most inner dickishness. And you don't have to spend a lot of times in WoW's LFD in order to experience this. After I ran out of free time to raid, I stopped with wow because of people acting like agressive arseholes. No content is worth getting abused over... unless of course the abuse comes from a raid-leader whom deep down (sometimes very deep down) loves you, and respects you. He can shout abuse at me, when I fuck up.
But we are going in circles here, because I still don't have time to raid.

So what does SWTOR do? Do they follow WoWs formula? the only formula that has proven to generate millions of subscribtions for any lenght of time? No.


Group Finder: They will be introducing Group Finder in 1.3. This will work for missions, flashpoints, and operations. It will be single server only. Community is very important, and they don’t want random pug dude who goes AFK And doesn’t care about his reputation – you avoid that when more people know each other. - from askajedi.com

Personally I love love love this. I'd rather be a part of a strong community, where your rep matters. Where your guilds rep matters. If your actions have consequenses, dicks will behave better. And I like my dicks welbehaved... wait.

Erhm. In my eyes this is great. Personally I'd much rather spend 15 minutes looking for groups and maybe only doing 1 or 2 dungeons a night, instead of the 3-4 I could do in wow. If it means avoiding moronic dickheads, or egotistical-phallos-swingers. If I get (like I used to in vanilla wow... ahh vanilla) groups of people who chat, who talk about bosses, who *plan*. instead of charging then wiping the quitting. I'm going to stick to SWTOR.
But I may not be the majority. I fear I am not

6 comments:

  1. /stands firmly in the minority with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the minority where the number of morons and dickheads I've seen in WoW's LFG has been so few and far between that I love LFG and have no problem running with people I don't know. If no discussion happens and we just clear the dungeon, that's fine with me. I don't like when someone speaks and gets ignored, but if we're working well together then words aren't necessary (that's what my guild is for).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they stick with the focus on community too. I actually haven't met that many completely awful people in LFD either, but even with a decent group the experience is just completely soulless, as everyone just goes through the motions to get to the end as quickly as possible. All the access in the world doesn't do me any good if the content doesn't feel like it's actually worth doing. I'd rather have fewer runs but have them be worthy of remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Issy; Hold the line... hold it.. hold it. Hold steady dammit, wait till you see the green of their eyes!

    @psynister: Given the fact that you agree that you are a minority, I assume that we can agree that this is a paradox *most* players face. Which would you chose, I wonder, battling with dickheads and seeing as much content as you want to see? Or waiting/spending up to an entire evening of gameplay to have relaxed cool people to play with (but probably not seeing as much content). This - imo- is a choice most players will face. Especcially those - like me- who do not have the time to invest in getting into a good raiding guild.

    @shintar; so in 6 lines you nailed what took me an entire post to write? damn you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate dickheads, they make me become a dickhead. Its like being bitten by a zombie, they turn you. I love the idea of a group finder only being for your server, because I remember before there was cross server in WoW and everyone knew who the dicks were, and could isolate them. Keep the zombies in there cage. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I love when zombie-comparisons work!

    ReplyDelete