Monday, September 26, 2011

Feeling weird about how Swtor was announced

For anyone who might've missed it: SWtOR has announced it's release on Dec 20/22 (depending on where you live).

Firstly I am thrilled to see that Biowares pricing people have discovered that there is a difference between the value of euro and usd  so I won't feel robbed every month. yea!

Now the part where I feel weird.

For so very long, the word about a release date was a unified "You will know well in advance when the game is coming" examplified with Stephen 'Rockjaw' Reid telling us all to stop reading into everything and

 I've said before that an announcement as big as release date will be so big, it'll come thundering towards us and we'll all hear it long before it arrives. That train's coming... but so far, I'd just say we've laid down some early track.
The whole train thing even became a twitter joke
 Rockjaw: Someone sent me a hat. I won’t tell you what it is, because knowing you lot, you’ll freak out. But person who sent it? It’s here.  (July 1. 2011.)
Rockjaw: Disclaimers: Hat does not imply anything. It is merely a hat. No train is coming (yet). Do not panic. Do not adjust your set. (July 1. 2011.)
 What i'm getting at is this, when we for so long had been told that we would have no doubt when a big announcement like the release date was coming, only to have it sprung on us, what else can't be believed.

I am sort of willingly naive when it comes to marketing. I realize that there is no greater joy than the joy of expectation. So when biowares representatives claim to be on the level and then do a 180 and go against what they have been telling us, I cannot help but feel that my trust in the bioware comunity reps have taken a blow.

"Wait, you are pissed that they gave us a release date? What is wrong with you??"

yea I know, it may seem weird to some, and I am not pissed, I'm just not feeling a great need to trust anything bioware reps say anymore. "We care about story" -no, don't buy it. "we want to make a great game" - like you did with DA:O ?

To me, it is like this, your favorite uncle comes by and say

"Hey kids, I've got some candy for ya! I ordered in online, and they haven't send it to me yet, but i'll let you know when it comes so we can all enjoy it together"

Then a week later you go into your living room and see a great stoking big bowl filled with candy sitting there
"Oh yea" your Uncle says "candy came yesterday".

Now part of you is happy (cuz theres candy) - but would you trust him the next time he makes a promise?

1 comment: