Thursday, July 8, 2010

There all better

Don't we all feel better now? (no, you sicko, its sleeping)


Sorry
Yes, the last blog had a bait in it. Blizzard has not yet posted anything about in-game chat and real-ID.
I had one of my most cynical RL friends call me after reading this, telling me that *now* he is deffinetly leaving the game over this real-ID shit, if they force you to use it in-game.

Sorry. That was not really my intent. To scare people into quitting. That would be kindda cruel and Blizzard-like-evul of me, to trick someone else leaving a game I still play.
My point was, sort of the same I think Tobold is trying to make.
Well sort of smarter then him (who would have thunk it)... Yes Tobold, I dare you to post here proving me wrong! (hey, its worked before).

Where was I?
Oh right. My point.
My point with this bait post, was to ask this question;

If trolling and spammings and threat and disck'ish behavior is SUCH a huge threat to Blizzard, why have they not implemented any form of real-ID into generel chat? Or whispers?
Just like the official forum, no-one is required to use trade/lfg/generel chat in game. You can still log on and play your game.
But those channels are *at least* as bad as anything on the forums. If they implemented this in order to cut back the workload of the moderators, why are they not doing the same for the in-game GM?

Because it is bull. Because Real-ID is created to suck as much personal information out of you, that they can resell, as possible. It is how farmville and facebook got so God-dammed rich, making cheap forums and browser games. By finding out patterns of you, and your social circles. What makes consumers tick, and how can this best be used to make more targetable adverticing?

Remember when armory came out?
Lum does
Can I “opt-out” of the Armory?
No; this particular option is currently unavailable. While we do not possess any present intention to allow our players to opt-out of basic Armory features (character display, talent build, arena teams, and reputation), we do plan to introduce more complex functionalities; these upcoming functionalities will be “opt-in”/”opt-out,” thus granting our players the opportunity to display or omit correlated information as desired.
 He also reminded me of how people who complained back then was treated:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/items/tinfoilhat.xml

Also:

We’ve just released a new preview of our upcoming Real ID feature, (http://www.battle.net/realid/ ) a new, optional way to connect with your friends on the revamped Battle.net. When you and a friend agree to become Real ID friends, you’ll have access to a number of options designed to enrich your social gaming experience, including cross-game chat, broadcast messages, the ability to keep in contact with your friends without having to keep track of their different characters across realms or across games, and much more. Check out our new Real ID pagehere. http://www.battle.net/realid/
  And this one is a real post: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=24702231147&sid=1
Also on the real-ID page:
Real ID is a completely voluntary and optional level of identity that keeps players connected across all of Battle.net 
http://eu.battle.net/realid/?rhtml=y

Well, in my opinion, it is not so much anymore. Especcially since it seems to have made it into the EULA that this may be used to collect info on you. Super!
And remember, the only way to opt out, in a completely voluntary and optional way, is to pretend you are a minor and your own parent.
Swell.

edit to add:
Before "what do you have to hide" (although i've explained that earlier) posts come... because so many people post here. Shut up

Before someone anon posts: "real id is not a problem, unless you got something to hide", here is what you say:
Your invisible now you've got no secrets to conceal.
(hums)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WItORHGuv9M

4 comments:

  1. Haha, the previous post did read like parody, but I did actually google it just to make sure, on the offchance my paranoia was justified :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get it... you don't think Blizzard didn't have all this info already? They have your name, location, computer specs, play time, etc... they have always had this info. I don't see how RealID is this huge ploy to sell information... that they could have done all a long without it being public knowledge.

    They have been gathering metrics since the game went live... info that is way more useful than someone's real life name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @issy: sorry again :)

    @anon: The important stuff is not what your name is, the important stuff is who's your social circle. With the real-id being mandatory instead of an opt-in (as it was before), they can now legally check out who your friends are and collect data on that.
    Same thing facebook is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymus (wow, that's a small number of people)

    The difference is a rather important one between Blizzard having my name and a random forum user having my name - I choose to give the name to one to play the game, the other gets it by default. Let me try an analogy:

    If I go to the cinema to get entertained, I do so with my friends. My friends already know my name and that is perfectly fine. I want them to be able to reach me by phone and email, after all, so we can arrange going to the bloody cinema in the first place.

    However, I am now going to wear a nametag when buying the drinks and popcorn (which is the same as using my real name when asking for tech support) - I do not need everyone knowing who I am. Especially not people I have no control over.

    A big party? I might introduce myself to strangers with first names only. If I meet them again repeatedly in my circle of friends, they'll eventually learn the full name. Friends of friends don't get all the info in the first place.

    ReplyDelete