Tuesday, July 6, 2010

So I'll never post on the BLizzard forums again.

Come cataclysm (or scII depending on your forum) the forums will change.
All posts will be made from realID accounts.

wow.com broke the news for me. Funny how they aren't posting happy loving blizz thoughts on this one

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25626109041

This is a dumb idea.
Like Hatch has just posted: "I feel so betrayed" at least it isn't backwards compatible. So until cata hits, you will be safe from: google, hackers, phising, stalking, RL repercussion ect ect.
What will happen to the forum? People to dumb or too young to care about this, will be almost the only ones posting. Rest will be people who want it to be known that they have thoughts on WoW. People who wants in some form or another to create a gaming career.
People like me, who work in a place where there is still a lot of stigma about adults playing video-games, I will never ever post there.
I guess Blizzard have forgotten that google has deep-search now.


Full statement from blizz below:

Battle.net Update: Upcoming Changes to the Forums 


Recently, we introduced our new Real ID feature -www.battle.net/realid/ , a new way to stay connected with your friends on the new Battle.net. Today, we wanted to give you a heads up about our plans for Real ID on our official forums, discuss the design philosophy behind the changes we’re making, and give you a first look at some of the new features we’re adding to the forums to help improve the quality of conversations and make the forums an even more enjoyable place for players to visit. 

For more details read more in this thread- http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25626109041

Also it should be pointed out, that this will not change posts you make now! Only new ones after cata/starcraftII launch.

2 comments:

  1. I'm raging too! Just wrote a rant... probably full of spelling errors... I'm just so upset that I had to get it out of my system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've posted one time, and I think that even then I felt dirty after doing it. For me no great loss, but I do decry the blatant disrespect of privacy that Blizzard is demonstrating. Anyone with any sense will be using the many other forums out there on the web to discuss in-game issues, etc. I just feel bad for the Blues, I mean, who will they be responding to but trolls only. Any good communication between the player base and Blizzard has been significantly damaged via this announcement. That can't be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete