Thursday, July 8, 2010

Real ID to be mandatory in game

It seems the forums where not the only place that trolling happens in wow. Blizzard (it seems) are so upset with the [dirge] jokes in trade channels, that they are now adding all channels in game, to be mandatory.

The first and most significant change to the in-game chat (this including, but not limited to, various city and world channels, guild-chat, whispers, group- and raid-chat and 'say') is that in the near future these chats will be doing so using their Real ID -- that is, their real-life first and last name -- with the option to also display the name of their primary in-game character alongside it. These changes will go into effect  near the launch of Cataclysm. Certain chats, including special pay-for-channels, will remain unchanged.
 I am not sure how I feel about this. Since, like the forums, it is not really mandatory to use any of these chats.

Or as Wryxian explains it
There's a lot of scare-mongering going on about the change, but there seems a need to make something very clear. The in game Chats have always been an optional extra -- something you can choose to participate in if you wish to. With our Real ID changes for the in game Chats ,this is still the case. The only difference will be, if you do choose to participate in the in game Chats, then you will do so by using your real name. But only after you've been warned and accepted this in advance.
Like I said, This isn't really anything new. At this point I am feeling very numb about this whole ID change.

The real post.
I am -as of yet- undecided, whether or not I will cancel my account. What I *do* know, is that I will not be posting about Real-ID anymore. It is litterally ruining my day, thinking about this.

I know I hate the implications and the future aspects this eral-ID brings with it.

I know that the company I loved, is not the same any longer.I now know, that the years and years I have spend playing Blizzard games, are not the same companies games I am playing any longer. I know that I am beginning to hate everything Blizzard stands for OUTSIDE of their games.

The fake charities, used to test the waters, to see if we would buy their in-game crap.
The fake implementations of Real-ID to only be so that we could chat with our friends cross-games and cross-servers.
The sneaky ways they keep adding stuff to make us pay more for less content.

It sickens me, that Blizzard could not handle the success of their game. the old saying of "more wanting more" certainly holds true.

Unfortunately I also know, that if I would be given the powers to create a game that was the perfect game for me. I'd make WoW with more class-differences. In the way they seem to be doing it for Cataclysm. I've never played a game, that fits what I love about video-games, more than WoW.
I've never hung out with such cool and fun people as I do in my guild. I am weighing those two things against eachother every day.

Why I hate real-ID


For now, I'll go online and pretend I am under the age of consent, and turn real-ID off.

And that is, ironically, why I do not want real-ID in the first place.
Where I work, and what I do, demands that there is no doubt about, absolutely NO DOUBT AT all, that I do not look at children *that way*.
Being male and working with children, is a very very dangerous job. You have to be alert at all times, about what you say, what you do and how anyone looking in from the outside, might mis-interpret this.

It is not an ideal world, but I love my job, so I am dealing with this.
However, my name being linked to -what most people consider - a kid game, is not a wise career-decision.
My boss would never fire me, for playing games. But I cannot risk ever being accused of this. Because being a young'ish male, being accused of liking small children, a little too much, is enough for me to never ever get another job.

Ever.

So, my thanks go out to the good people at Activision-Blizzard for this. It is really just terrific to have your every waking hour going with this at the back of your head.

7 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same. It's really ruining my week and I can't get it out of my head. I know I shouldn't blog anymore abuot it but this is overshadowing everything else. I can't think of anything else to write about.

    Maybe I should go on a vacation from everything community related. You know... just play the game but stop taking part in anything going on outside of it. No forums, no guides, no blogs, no discussions. Just shut it all out and keep killig pigs for silvers in Westfall until I eventually decide to slip into some other fantasy world where I'm still allowed to be someone else than I am in reality.

    I don't know what more to say. I just wanted to send you a friendly hug and a nod. I've got the same pain right now and it's sickening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Likewise *friendly hugs*.

    Even without being in a position such as yours, I am increasingly worried at the *where will it end*.

    But at the end of the day, WoW is a game. It might be the most polished out there, I might have invested years into it, but it isn't the only one. If it comes to a choice between my privacy/sanity and wow, I won't be playing wow anymore. I am enjoying lotro, and I am longing for SW:TOR.
    I am not going to make any hasty decisions but I am not happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I missing something, is this genuine, or is it a "what if"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand why bloggers may be tired of talking about this. I do. For myself I feel it's important to not stop, to keep fighting the best ways I know how. To keep it in the conscienceness of the public (yeah, the 5 people who read my blog) because I want to show to my kids that there are issues worth fighting for. Privacy is one of those.

    I'm not quitting the game, I enjoy it. Sure, there may be a breaking point, as in if Real ID becomes mandatory in-game to an unacceptable extent or it's further used to invade my privacy. But we're not there yet for me.

    I can't help but believe, however, that silencing ourselves is exactly what Blizzard wants. They know of the tens of thousands of protests, but they're biding their time till we all shut our mouths and accept their policies. Why turn back something you'll make millions on? is their mantra. Yea, silence is the ultimate tool for the powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @issy and lar: thank you both for the friendly hugs :)

    @chas: I'm sure there would have been links if it had been real. (second part of my post is very real though.) Besides, my crappy english is bound to be oozing through the bright blue-posts.

    @gronthe: may be the same reason they released exciting new content-talent builds the very next day? "oh shiny object".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well played Dwism, well played.

    I too can't seem to get the nagging doubts of where this may go in the future out of my head. I suppose we shall simply have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed. For now, ive pretended to be my mum (I called her, she said she wasn't surprised... I dunno what that meant) and had my real-ID turned off.
    Hopefully this will allow me to keep playing without feeling watched. Just like shade said, we play this game to escape.

    ReplyDelete